The Collier Family Legacy
After the Second World War, logging gradually shifted from labor-intensive methods to technology-intensive operations, becoming much more efficient in the process. Old methods of logging were quickly replaced and forgotten even faster. With such a fast-paced, changing technology and ever more efficient means of production, Cap and Andy Collier became interested in preserving the history of the earliest eras of logging in Oregon.
The Colliers donated 146 acres of land to the state of Oregon in 1945 as a memorial to their parents, Charles and Janet Collier. The logging museum began two years later when the brothers donated a collection of antique logging equipment.
Brothers Alfred ‘Cap’ and Andrew Collier were third generation Oregonians with interests in natural resource industries. Andrew moved into banking but Cap turned to the business of lumber and logging. He wanted future generations to see how logging had evolved from an often dangerous, labor intensive industry requiring armies of men to one dominated by machinery. 'Cap's grandson, Charles 'Chuck" Ehlers and his wife Renie carry on the family interest in the park by serving on the board of the Friends of Collier Park.