Under a continuing mandate to “acquire and preserve sites of outstanding scenic and historic worth, together with strips of superior wayside forest, reached by the highways,” S.H. Boardman, during the last years of his long tenure as first head of the State Parks Department (created in 1929), acquired more scenic lands statewide for new parks including, in the mid-1940’s, the Spring Creek area of central Klamath County. The 1945 Park Budget automatically carried with it authority to negotiate the acquisition of the properties that the state was interested in so he had the authority to negotiate for the acquisition directly with the Collier brothers. This is how the story of the park’s beginning is told in the Oregon State Highway Commission’s Fourteenth Biennial Report, page 119:
The Collier Memorial State Park, containing one hundred forty-six acres, is situated in Klamath County, thirty miles north of the City of Klamath Falls, on the new, recently opened Diamond Lake Junction-Lobert Section of The Dalles-California Highway. The park area, deeded directly to the state, on December 26, 1945, by its former owners, Claudia L. Lorenz and William M. Lorenz, her husband, was paid for by Alfred D. Collier and Andrew M. Collier, and presented to the State of Oregon as a memorial to their parents who had a fondness for the area. To their memory a native stone monument was erected on the right bank of Spring Creek, a short distance below the highway bridge crossing. The park is unique in being the only state park in Oregon within the bounds of an Indian Reservation.
The donors of the park, long identified with the development and progress of Klamath County, are particularly interested in collecting and housing in the park a museum exhibit, featuring the crude logging camp type of buildings, for housing the kinds of equipment and tools used by the early pine timber loggers in this region. The only other exhibit is in Wisconsin, where its novelty has attracted many interested visitors.
These public spirited Collier brothers, at their own expense, will acquire the obsolete equipment, tools and culinary utensils used in early days of the logging industry, and house it in reproductions of the crude type of camp buildings, which were progressively and haphazardly set up as camp needs developed. They also contributed to the cost of the new caretaker’s cottage.
Made up primarily of ponderosa pine covered land, more acreage was added to the park as the years went by. The Colliers gave or helped acquire other tracts up through 1962. Additional acres were obtained acres from the U.S. Forest Service bringing the total up to the 525 acres that make up the park today. (1992, Oregon Parks and Recreation, pg. 169.)